Monday, May 11, 2020

Mask Maker



It started six weeks ago. I made 4 masks, following a tutorial online. It was something to do to kill a Sunday evening. The tutorial was hard to follow and finicky and I wasn't all that impressed with the finished product. So I just threw them in our van for us.

A day or so later a couple of friends asked me to make masks for their families so I dug through my scrap buckets and made a batch of 25 and gave them away to friends, neighbors and people driving by.... They were all gone in hours.


CONFESSION TIME:
I hoard fabric (is it hoarding if its sorta organized?) But I've never spent more than a few dollars on each piece from the second hand stores. And in 10 years I've amassed quite the collection.

I am NOT a trained sower, unless you count the 6 weeks of sewing I was FORCED to take in JR High. I got a sewing machine after a  fight discussion in 2010.with my husband were I said I wanted a sewing machine. And he said, and I quote, like you'll EVER use it...GAME ON. I proved him wrong.


So its a pandemic  I had me my trusty sewing machine and tons of fabric and realized that the need/ want for masks was there. The only thing I didn't have was elastic, so a prayerful trip to the dollar store in the chaotic days of social distancing I saw hair elastics and thought if I make the masks a bit wider they will work. Problem solved.

So I went to work. And have spent some time each day making masks. My muscles are SUPER tight, at the moment because I can not have my botox treatments until some more pandemic restrictions. So I can only sew for about an hour before I need to take a break. 

But as of yesterday I've finished 204 masks. All given away and I'll just keep going until.

 Its been an awesome way for me to connect with people (from a distance). Most have picked them up from my mail box. I've had some wonderful conversations in my yard too.

 Grant's been so unwell and its given me something to do. A way to serve that has only cost me a few dollars in hair elastics. When the pandemic has left me home bound.

I'm doing it because it just feels good. A simple need I can fill. I am not making any kind of statement about whether or not you should wear them or the critical climate we live in. (why do people have to criticize each other??)   You do you, mmmmkay.  



If you need a mask I am happy to make you one just message me and if you want to sew one I broke it down for you below....





Man I look tired. I am. Pandemic hair and care giving will do that.



 1. You need a piece of 100% cotton fabric measuring 10" x 14" (10" is the measurement across the face, you can adjust this an inch bigger or smaller to fit accordingly)
2. Fold in half, right side to right side, folded measurements are now 10" x 7"
3. Straight stitch the long seam closed, no need to back stitch.
 4. Turn right side out.

 5. Press with an IRON( sorry millenials and hippies you need an iron here)
 6. Pleat, this is a little tricky. An inch from the top pinch an inch of fabric an each side and fold down and press.
7. Pin pleat down. Place pins towards the centre, so you don't sew over them. Unless you love bending needles, thanks Marilyn for the tip and the new needles.
8. Repeat two more times, press and pin. (for a total of 3 pleats)
9. Elastics, elastic has been in short supply around here, so I resorted to using thin hair elastics from the dollar store. (50 for $2) You need two for each mask. Cut each elastic where it is glued together.
 10. Straight stitch the elastic to just below the  upper corner and just above the lower corner.
 11. Make sure to back stitch over each elastic end.
 12. Also hold down each pleat corner as the presser foot passes over it.
 13. Remove the pins.
 14. Trim all threads and fabric ends 1/4" from the right of the straight seem.
 15. You now need 2 small rectangles of fabric approx. 2" x 5".  I measure the 5" off each mask side because they do vary. It needs to at least an inch longer than the side of the mask,
 16. Centre the small strip on the back of the mask (side without the elastics)
 17. Fold down in the top and the bottom of the strip so the line up with the top and bottom edges of the mask. Straight stitch together.
 18. Flip mask over, lay flat and pull the sewn strip out
 19. Fold strip in, and fold in again.
 20. Straight stitch strip down. Repeat 16-19 on the other side of mask. 
 21. Trim treads.

22. Finished. The side of the mask with the elastics is the FRONT and faces out. The side of the mask without the elastics is the BACK of the mask and goes against the nose and mouth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment