Friday, July 5, 2013

Trek Clothing Marathon

The trek clothing marathon is finished!!! Four girls and one boy have two complete outfits each and another girl has two bonnets. So that's 10 bonnets, 10 shirts, 8 skirts, 8 aprons, 8 bloomers, 2 pairs of trousers with suspenders, 2 bandanas and one far from authentic straw cowboy hat...And we still have more than two weeks until trek...Yay me!
 
I kept losing pieces I had already worked on, so I decided to spend the last two days and just get it finished. Plus I suspected a mutiny if one more rug rat stepped on a pin :) 
 
 

In all honest I totally cheated on most of it. I come from the keep it simple, school of thought and not the authentic, the pioneers didn't have elastic or Velcro or power.
 
 So, I bought all the shirts at the second hand store and just took the collar off a few of them. I found all but two skirts there as well and altered each one. Lengthening the bottom or tightening the waist. The other two skirts I doctored a knit maxi skirt pattern only slightly and they worked great...I found most of the aprons and only really sewed 4 of them and all of the bloomers are just hemmed cotton pj bottoms, also found at the thrift store. I did sew every single bonnet, odd you can't seem to find those outside of Utah ;)

 
I didn't mind the work at all...just paying it forward. I have never forgotten all the skating carnival costumes and Moroni's Quest costumes and prior trek outfits sewn for our family, when I was still terrified of a sewing machine :) Plus I know what it feels like when small stuff is tipping point and this was a simple way I could help.
 


Bring on trek!

0 comments:

Post a Comment