Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Compassion's Price


I struggle to feel understood sometimes, like I think most of us do. As I share my life experiences there is always a risk of sorts.  If someone knows the true nature of my  journey through tragedy, abuse and heartache will that bring hated pity or the "me too" of empathy ???

I have the privilege of serving with the women in our church, a calling that puts me at the crossroads of many families during their greatest joys and deepest heartaches. It has forced me into the stratosphere beyond my comfort zone and face fears and acknowledge damage and scars long ago hidden away.

I have sat in sacred places and shared experiences once thought too painful. Each time humbled at our heavenly fathers ability to give beauty for ashes.

Someone recently shared this with me.

As I have come to know you Robin, I have come to understand that you have paid a very dear and heavy price to have the level of compassion and empathy you have. People see your compassion, but they have no idea the price you have paid for it.

I don't think even I had thought about it that way before, but it is true. Compassion comes with a price and most of us have had to pay dearly for it.

Grateful for a moment of understanding and clarity and empathy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment