Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Reaching Adulthood

Man-child turns EIGHTEEN today. According to the Canadian government that means adulthood. (I'm guessing they haven't spent much time with any 18 year olds, lately). Every Kramer is now an adult. . I'm sitting here swinging  somewhere between stoic sadness and relieved wonder. Until yesterday this moment seemed like an eon away.....


I had barely reached adulthood myself when motherhood came, and by 25, I was the mother of five. Crazy really. I have never felt like a natural at this gig. and still feel like I'm in the middle of a test I haven't studied for....But somehow we managed figured it out together. I worried way too much about the wrong things when they were littler. Matching church outfits didn't matter. The repeatedly spilt apple juice and Lucky Charms all over the kitchen floor, didn't matter. Feeling like I had to maintain the unattainable perfect mother persona , absolutely pointless.


Somewhere between the diapers and the grad ceremonies, I became much more comfortable in the constant chaos and commotion and embraced my mothering awkwardness. I traded in the perfection trophy for a This Is Me t-shirt. They actually never noticed. 


Just love them it's that simple. Yes they will break your heart (many times actually) But that love will always be the bridge across the break. Adulthood is awesome., they are amazing. A milestone reached but nothing really has changed. I love them dearly and I'm their mother. Now will someone besides me please go clean the laundry room?!?1

0 comments:

Post a Comment