Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bailey & Dyslexia

Bailey My favourite piece of Bailey's- "BACKWARDS"- she wanted to express that the way she sees the world is backwards, but just fine

A couple of years ago, while still living in Port Alberni we were told by the school that our daughter Bailey would need to have pschyco-educational testing done before for her Grade 10 year in order for them to continue to adapt learning strategies and they way test are given to her. Bailey is dyslexic and one of the smartest kids I know. We were told that once in grade 10 a student needed an IEP (individual education plan) in order for material to be adapted and in order to get an IEP Bailey needed psycho educational testing. The catch, the school wait list could take years, the private wait list is 18+ months long and could cost $3500-$5000 (extended insurance would cover $300 of that)



So we put Bailey on both lists. The private clinic called me a couple of weeks ago. After speaking to a psychologist that talked to me like I was three, became defensive when I asked her to explain how the costs were incurred and acted like we were lesser parents because we didn't have $5000 we could just hand over in a heart beat, we told the psychologist we simply were no longer interested and decided to just wait on the school list. Needless to say, I did feel like a lesser parent because we couldn't afford a test I was told Bailey desperately needed.



I then received a letter in the mail. One of those "this letter is to inform you that your child..." kind of letters. I instantly thought we had made a mistake in not having Bailey tested. I made the appointment with the school councilor. I dreaded what I thought was going to be a "I am not a stupid parent, really I'm not" kind of visits. To my pleasant surprise our visit today was great.


The school councilor thought Bailey was doing well, all things considered. Bailey would pass the class in question and sent us to talk to her Learning Assistance teacher. Ms B. told us that considering Bailey's struggles she is doing exceptionally well and here is the kicker......The provincial policies have changed in regards to learning assistance, Grade 10 students and provincial exams. Assistance can be provided to any student that requires it, and an IEP is no longer required to do so. We were assured that Bailey will receive assistance as needed, testing will be done if needed to satisfy the requirements for post-secondary admission.We were also told that the cost for testing we were quoted was ridiculous, same testing could be done locally for a fraction of the cost.
We are so grateful for great schools and dedicated teachers.

The list of why we love living in Courtenay just keeps getting longer.....

1. Beaches
2. Hiking
3. Cummberland Donuts
4. School District #71
5. Mount Washington
6. Secondhand Stores
7. Aquatic Centre
8. Diego's Mexican Food
9. A movie theater that show 4 movies at a time :)
10.Kye Bay.........







1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it worked out so well for you guys in the end!!I love Bailey's artwork. Smart girl, and talented too!

    ReplyDelete