Saturday, May 29, 2010

I HATE to cook....Dinner!

Roasting Hot Dog @ Willemar Lake- Summer 2009
(yup, my kind of dinner cooking)
I know it may be hard to believe but....I HATE TO COOK....dinner that is. Yes, this Mormon mother of 5, serving in a Relief Society Presidency, dreads the question every night " Mom, what's for dinner??" I am not sure what it is, but I have always felt this way. Its not that I can't cook, I can...I just don't want to. Maybe it was growing up in a family that ate out 95 percent of the time, or the fact that I am busy or the fact that my kids likes & dislikes change faster than the weather. Bailey doesn't like Mac & Cheese (a food group at our house) or maybe that's Madison? I know, Alex bursts into tears if we force her to down spaghetti , but will eat lasagna.


Today I did something I have never tried before...freezer meals. I, with the help of which ever kid was dumb enough to be closest to the kitchen for the moment, made: 4 meat loafs, 2 baked pastas, 2 ham & hash brown casseroles, hamburger patties, sweet & sour meat balls, 2 batches of taco meat, spaghetti sauce & marinated teryaki beef. Yes I too am pretty proud of myself. Tomorrow I think I will tackle the 4 Kg box of chicken. I doubt the kids will be any where near the kitchen even if they are starving. Maybe freezer meals will change my attitude about dinner. At least when they ask "What's for dinner?" this week I can point at the freezer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment