Thursday, April 4, 2013

Finding My Father

The last few days I have been sorting through dusty old pictures and paperwork of my Dad's and Mom's....It's only taken nine years for me to get around to tackling Mom's boxes....
 
I have turfed more than half of what I've been carting around for years. Its therapeutic to save just the basic and most important things from their lives, things that tell the story of who they were....Boxes and boxes down to just a few now...kind of strange really...
But my parents lives never really fit in a boxes anyways...
 
 
Dad was funny, profound, inappropriate, tender-hearted and spoke his mind...a bit of a renegade, I guess...
Today I found an old date book were Dad recorded thoughts, feelings, quotes and anything that struck his fancy over about a ten year period.... Most I can't post, mainly because of my Dad's propensity to use swear words beginning with the letter F.{ I think that was his favourite key as well ;)}
 
 
 
 
Dad could be funny, profound and inappropriate, sometimes all at the same time.... 

"The greatest force for good is imagination"
 
"I'm in love for the last time in my life"
 Dad always struggled to understand love...I don't know if he ever truly found it.

"We can't choose our loved ones by their taste in music"
 I distinctively remember the day that he told me he would disown  me if I ever listened to Rap music :)
"Les is the only one I know who's marriage outlasted his marriage"
 
Marriage: 20 years
Car: 28 years
VW Bug for the win :)
"People say, "You're looking good" But as mother used to say, "That isn't where it HURTS""
 My Grandma Beena was a wise sage....Our faces almost always hide the true extent of our heartache. If we could only see inside to each other's heart.

"An educated man is aware of what he doesn't know-An uneducated man is not aware of what he doesn't know."
 
"A wine cooler to me is like plastic flowers"
 Yeah well the wine didn't really treat your brain or your liver that much better either...just saying :)
"It is a shame to waste food on this AS*****."
 Oh he wrote the full word ;) My Dad had a way of saying what everyone else was thinking, only he seemed to get away with it.
"Man has made two major mistakes-
1. He invented gun powder
2. He went to Church"
 Dad had a hatred for guns...
And when it came to Church...well it was not for him. But he respected his daughters decision to go....
"A real intellectual is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger
 Not my Dad's words but...I think my Dad would qualify as a real intellectual
"Why is it that when we loose something and then find it-
we are happier than if we had never lost it at all"
This was Dad's last entry in this book.
Profound.
 
Words scribbled on a page a few at a time. A lifetime of who, how and what my Dad was. My father :)
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment