Saturday, August 24, 2013

Going There Today....


I never understood the love my father had for my mother...Until after my mother's passing and I watch my Dad mourn her death.

 His love for her (and I will assume her love for him) was difficult to see by the time Kelli and I were old enough to understand what love was....Addiction, mental illness and choices by both had eclipsed their love and buried it under years of argument and anger.

As a young teenager until I was a young mother myself, I thought they despised each other.

Then Mom died...

Dad was devastated. They had been apart for twenty years and his reaction surprised me, but for the first time I began to understand that they had shared a deep love for each other. Dad had deep regret that things hadn't been different for them. He expressed that regret often. "You know, I loved your Mother." he would say with considerable emotion....time had healed much and most hurts had been forgotten, I guess.

As Dad's dementia took hold, his love for Lynne was never forgotten...As I watched his life end I came to understand that for my parents, what was not possible in this life could be possible in heaven. Where they would finally be free from addiction, illness and pain and their love could be unrestrained.

Today Grant and I went to the temple and did Mom and Dad's work, allowing them, if they choose the blessings of a forever family.

I am grateful the blessings of the temple and the peace and clarity and hope and renewed courage I felt there today.

{I realised today that next Saturday would have been Mom and Dad's 50th wedding anniversary....}









3 comments:

  1. What a treasured experience. Bless you Robin for the opportunity to recognize and be part of that sacred work. Thanks for sharing...reading this blog entry touched my heart this morning.
    It will be a great Sabbath Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Robin, that is beautiful. When I was growing up your parent's love for each other was evident. They were a great couple, and I will always remember the first time they brought you and Kelli to Grandma Beena's for a visit, how happy and excited they were about their little girls. Yes, some things in life got in the way of all of that, but I am hopeful as you are that they can work through all of that and be happy together again. We hope the same thing for Grandpa Wendell and Grandpa Beena too, right? similar life experiences got in their way too. Each Saturday I go to the temple and do sealings and I have often wondered if this day would come for your parents. I am so happy that you could do that for them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really touched my heart. I'm really grateful for the line "...what was not possible in this life could be possible in heaven."
    Thank you for sharing. What a special experience temple work is.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete