Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Robin vs. The Rodent

**warning don't read this if rodents freak you out**

There is not much that freaks me out. Spiders don't. Snakes don't. The only thing in the animal kingdom that really makes my skin crawl is rodents. Any type. I haven't even allowed the kids to own hamsters, because they even gross me out.

I am aware that rodents (mice, rats & shrew) exists but, we have never had one in the house, thank heavens. I have on occasion seen shrews (the size of a mouse, with a really pointy nose) in the yard but that's rare.

Tuesday is garbage day, which I usually forget until I hear, the garbage truck back down the street. But Tuesday morning I actually remembered as we left to take the rug rats to school. It was -15 with the windchill, so Grant took pity on them.

Our garbage cans sit outside, at the edge of our car port, I went to take the lid off one can to put the last bag in....

Alex who was standing right behind me starts to scream, before I can comprehend what the fuzzy grey thing jumping towards me is...

The inner "school girl" in me takes over and my screams match Alex's as I run for my life, pushing Alex , out of the way...

Grant comes running out to see who's "attacking me" just in time to watch the RAT scurry down the driveway.

It took more than an hour for the adrenaline rush to settle down and for Grant to stop laughing at me. But,I think my skin is still crawling.

By the way, did I mention how much I still hate rodents!!

3 comments:

  1. Ewwww, that would be sick!!!! Ugh!!!

    Unrelated, but that first photo of your 4 little girls is to-die-for cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom and sister are rodent freakers. My sister discovered a mouse in her KItchen cupboard(!) and she says she lost completely every sense of reasonable, rational behavior that she possesses. Her husband also laughed his head off at her after torturing her with his slowness to react while she screamed on top of the kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I must confess, I am the same as you and feel exactly the same way about rodents! I think it would have taken me mich longer then an hour to recover! I saw a mouse about 30 feet from me and was freaking out! I HATE them!!!
    Starla

    ReplyDelete