Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Fix-It Faux Pas

"I can smell antifreeze?!" I say to the Superman as we start our marathon of errends on Saturday morning. He totally rolled his eyes at me.

{I'm admitting nothing, but I have at times maybe, heard noises or smelled smells from our vehicles and worried they were breaking down (ok something was breaking down...but it wasn't the vehicle)}

 I've never claimed to be normal, but I do have a slight phobia about being stranded by a vehicle...long story.....

 When we stopped to put the deposit on the moving truck...."It's leaking, like alot Grant!" "I'll check it when we get home!?" "I think we should head home NOW!"

Super decides to try one more errand...as we hit the Ryan road intersection, 3 blocks from home the Van starts SMOKING and is now making sounds usually reserved for reptiles....

We make it in the driveway...



The Superman immediately starts ripping the van apart...."It's the timing chain seal, I don't have the time to fix it, it will have to take it in"


Grant takes it in...They first call to tell us it's not what Grant said, then an hour later call back to say....Yes it's exactly what Grant said...

Grant went to pick up our "fixed " van Sunday evening....It was no longer spuing antifreeze, but now had a knock, miss fire in the engine. The mechanic said he had a quick look, but the problem wasn't obvious....and because it was a seperate problem than we had brought it in for we would have to pay to have diagnoised...Grant chose the bring it home...
Monday evening Grant ripped apart the van again...2 minutes later he comes in the house...

It's fixed!

Really?? A wire had been taken or knocked off the distributor cap....Any mechanic should have spotted it in seconds. (Especially from the sound)

I know not all mechanics are dishonest...But it's hard not to question this ones integrety. 

I don't like feeling disappointed in people.

We have rarely needed a mechanic, as the Superman can fix nearly everthing car wise. But I'm still on the search for an honest one, for the future.

We can't even be mad at the loser cruiser ...It's the First problem she's ever had...and Grant took the oppurtunity last night to change filters and plugs while it was already apart...So I guess it's all good.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that the Kramer bus is back in action. I have dealt with many mechanics in the last 14 years here in the Valley and I find that Mike Finneron has been very good and their service is excellent. When we first moved here actually the day we moved here our van developed a serious lurch and gassy smell and no it was not me!!! I had dropped it off at Brian Mcleans and the next morning the guys at work all shouted NOOOOO and drove me there to pick up my van and lurched all the way over to Mike Finnerons. When it was done it cost me nothing as it was recall item and not only that they fixed some other over due items for nothing! Even though I have used other good mechanics here in the valley I have now made Mikes the only place I go even for oil changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete