Friday, March 2, 2012

Stuff Found

Many good things about packing up your house....you find stuff!!!

Bailey's birth certificate....saved me $80

My Costco card...this won't save me a dime :)

The foot piece to my fancy hiking stick (of course, I'll be running up mountains this very weekend)

Scissors (13 pairs and counting) All the ones we can never find.

The graphing calculator I had to replace already.

A red spiral notebook....

Over the Summer of 2009, Every time my Dad called I asked him questions about his life, mainly his childhood. As we talked, I jotted down notes in a red spiral notebook. I had mostly forgotten about it. But came across it while cleaning off the shelves in our back hallway yesterday....It made me cry as I flipped through the pages.

 After my Mom passed away, I realized there were so many things about her I simply didn't know, I had never thought to even ask her. I didn't want to say the same thing about my Dad....so I started asking questions....

Because of our talks I know that...

That he went to primary, on Tuesdays and met on the 2nd floor of the 1st Ward building in Logan.


He had a black and white terrier, named Mickey


His favourite cartoon was The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show.


He had polio the summer before he started High School, and spent three weeks in St Benedict's Hospital in Ogden.


One of his first jobs was as an usher at the Capital Theater in Logan. Wage 35 cents/hour


He played in a Jazz Trio every Friday and Saturday night, during college at the Del Mar Club in Logan and because of Utah's liquor law's you had to bring your on booze.


Entered the Army because he was flunking out of College (served in West Germany)


Got his bachelor's and master's degree in Music.


His favourite time of year is Spring.



Even more poignant, now that he is unable to answer even basic questions.

I will treasure our talks and the things I know about my Dad because of them.


Take away: Ask while you can. Someday the answers will no longer be there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment