Saturday, February 2, 2013

Grandpa Les/Grief/Groundhog Day

 
 February doesn't have the best track record around here and I swore this year I was simply going to skip it, but clicking my ruby slippers while saying abracadabra a ton of times didn't work and I'm still here, dang it.
 
I was doing so good until I across my Dad's number still programmed into the directory on our phone, will trying to find another, today. And then I remembered it was Groundhog Day, dang it, I hate rodents.
 
For years the best way you could describe the relationship Kelli and I had with our Dad, was Ground hog's Day..... The Movie, not the rodent. Just like in the movie my Dad's conversations with us were stuck on repeat. The same phone call multiple times a day. Dad simply couldn't do anything else. At times it was maddening, at times it was sad and at times it was hilarious. I never knew how much I would miss those calls and miss him.
 
Yesterday, it was a year ago that we got the call from Adult Protective Services and we were finally able to step in and help my Dad. It was too late to change the outcome, but we were given the gift of a goodbye and one last "I love you too".
 
February is also the anniversary of my Mother's death, nine years ago now. Time has aloud for some peace and understanding. But I don't think I will ever LOVE February.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment