Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Twin Sisters




Not one single, disagreement, unkind word or fight in more than twenty years...

For sisters who by all definitions hated each other in high school. We have never had an argument since. Why? We needed each other.

We faced the rapid decline and tragic death of our Mom in our twenties and the deja vu of sorts as we watched our Dad's decent into dementia and subsequent death in our thirties.

We made medical decisions, planned funerals, sorted through paperwork and houses and settled affairs, without a single disagreement.

 I remember Moms funeral director commenting, "Wow for sisters you sure get along."

We were well aware that family did not always behave well in these circumstances...We had had a front row seat not that many years prior. And I think we realized then that relationships had a greater value than nick nacs or furniture.

Kelli and I made a choice and kept a promise.

I will be forever grateful that my sister stepped in and cared for my Dad, when I couldn't leave, her circumstances not that much better than mine...She showed no animosity, just complete understanding..."You will come when you can..."

Recently the lawyer helping with my Dads affairs "Congratulated Kelli and I on being able to get along and trust each" (does that mean we get a discount? ;)) He shared that that isn't the norm...

Yeah we know :)

Relationships simply have a greater value.

How grateful I am for a sister like mine. We have shared everything in this life (except boyfriends, ewww) Birthdays, triumphs and heartaches...always together, the way it was intended.

She is my greatest blessing and dearest friend.

Happy Birthday, Kelli. I love you.






0 comments:

Post a Comment