Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Who you lookin' at???


I have a lazy eye...well two really. I use one eye at a time, and which ever eye isn't in use is staring off the opposite direction.My eyes switch back and forth constantly. Its always been that way, I have never known anything different. The only thing is as I have gotten older it has become way more obvious. There are only two things I can't do drive and see 3D movies. Driving, in the general interest of public safety having a person behind the wheel with zero depth perception and not always being able to tell which direction a moving object is coming from, not such a good idea. 3D, I remember sitting through old 3D movies as a child and thinking "What the heck?!" everything was off set in blue and red. At least with the new digital stuff looks like regular 2D for me with the glasses and doesn't give me a head ache (Despicable Me was awesome)



How people respond to my lazy eyes is down right funny....People never know which eye to look at,but assume I don't notice the confusion on there face ...People look over their shoulder to see if I am talking to someone behind them...I have even had people speak slower and repeat themselves, assuming my crazy eyes are some how linked to a lack of intelligence....My kids even have fun with it, I'll say go do the dishes to which on of my smart asses will ask,"which two of us are you lookin' at, Mom???(where on earth did they learn to be so sarcastic ;) But here is my favourite.....



Not long after school started this last September, twin boys that were in Dallyn's class kept showing up to play, I didn't mind them playing in the yard but I told Dallyn that until I meet parents(we were brand new to Courtenay) I don't want them in the house...A couple of weeks later,out of the blue, Dallyn runs inside and announces the twins mom is here to meet me...I was in the middle of mopping the kitchen...in a baggy t shirt (no bra on, there I said it), pyjama bottoms, my hair in a bright red bandanna, a total domestic goddess...well isn't that flippin fantastic I thought...I go to the door...I say oh hi its nice to meet you...she says "oh I am right in front of you," as she grabs my hand to shake it...I thought "that's odd"....her two boys who are identical except for there different coloured mo-hawks, are now standing beside her...I say "ok which one of you is which?" The boys quickly explain that the blue mo hawk belongs to A and the brown mo hawk belongs to B. The mom interrupts them and says "Oh sweetie I don't think she can see that" Oh. My. Gosh. She thinks I'm blind!(I am sure that could explain my goddess get-up) I quickly try to bail her out by saying "oh that's ok, I see just fine" "Are you sure?"she says....me:YES. "Well then what the heck is wrong with your eyes???" OK know I'm feeling a wee bit violated and thinking ouch that was RUDE...but I lunched into the full medical explanation just for the fun of it : cerebral palsy, oxygen deprivation, surgical intervention, ophthalmologist, physical and occupational therapy...I think the big words overwhelmed her...:) But Rule #1 is Never assume anything! Dallyn never asked to have them over again and for some reason I was ok with that.




My eyes are just part of who I am and I'm absolutely ok with it. Who you lookin' at??...Only I know :)

1 comment: