Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dad Did What???

Notice the Orange Converse with the blue laces......
The Famous Track Suit and watch...I love that this picture shows my Dad's watch....you have to be a music geek to undrstand it, instead of numbers it shows key signature notations in the circle of fifths 12 being C major, 1 being G, 2 being D, 3 being A and so on...A music student gave it to him several years ago and he truly treasures it

My Dad is eccentric to say the least. Has always been that way and I love him for it. He does his own thing and marches to his own beat. I guess you would call him the "artsy" type. What other 75 year old man do you know that will wear purple or orange high top converse and pink hospital scrub pants in public or a black and red track suit to Church...Nothing he has ever does really surprises us

Its been hard over the last year or two to watch my Dad's zest for life decline...his eccentric nature has become more and more apparent and I'm not sure its always to his benefit. While his over all situation truly makes me sad there are moments that make me laugh and cry all at the same time and just shake my head...

There was the picture I received in the mail from him of an "It's a Boy" stork sign, sitting prominently in my Dad's family room (my sister had just adopted Zach a month or two earlier) On the Sign was the name "Zachary , Middle Name Crossed Out, Last Name Crossed Out...Les written in(Zach's Middle name)...my sisters last name written in. Birth Date crossed out and Zach's birth date written in...my dad had seen the sign in someones yard and taken it, taken it.Because it had Zach's name on it..(head shake)...

Last week my dad's cat died. A cat he had for more than 10 years. It was his only companion and truly devastated my dad. I felt so bad for him and told him when he was ready we would help him get another cat, if he wanted. Two days later he called and announced he had a new cat...a "stray" he had "found." and took home.My dad lives in the middle of California Suburbia and the likely hood that a healthy cat with a collar is a stray is very unlikely. My Dad swears its a stray and no amount of convincing has changed his mind...My only hope is that the cat escapes and find its way home. Not sure if it's old age or late on set kleptomania, but I'm still shaking my head.
(***after I posted this I found out that the cat was indeed the neighbours and has been returned home...thank heavens***)

2 comments:

  1. I still cringe thinking about it. He did tell me that he discovered it belonged to his neighbor (sigh of relief) so at least that has resolved. It also reminded me of when he took the table marker that time I took him out to eat after his eye surgery.

    On a sad note-he again asked me yesterday if Claudia was Jason's mom. Makes my heart break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents getting older and more dependent, I think is one of the toughest things to deal with. Even tougher when they live far away.

    ReplyDelete