Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Little Craft Crazy....Why Yes

I'm not crazy..... crafting is cheaper than therapy and the sewing machine drowns out the sound of the rug rats bickering nicely :)
 
I've only been sewing for the last two months, so I pretty much suck at it, refuse to follow patterns (not just a sewing problem), and  love when I can make something from nothing.

I came across this idea to make kids bomber-style hats from their old t-shirts....seemed simple enough.

I made a pattern from some toques laying around and raided the bag of clothes slated for Sally Ann... 

Any knit fabric works...t-shirts, sweatshirts, fleece...

Knits are a little picky...and I found a double layer worked better than a single. And buy bias tape for the edges. Making your own is too time consuming.....

I then added patches, buttons, rick rack etc...Really fun to make but the rug rats have informed me they won't be wearing them....oh well. They were meant for cute kids anyways ;)

I've also started making bags....I don't use a pattern and just make it to whatever size fabric remnant I have and add whatever I feel like.
I think it's fun, my family thinks I'm even crazier....so its a win-win :)



1 comment:

  1. I think they all look awesome! that's how I learned to sew too.....and it's way more creative. I'm always amazed at the creative things you seem to create so easily. ;)

    ReplyDelete