Friday, January 20, 2012

She`s Having A Baby!

My twin sister is having a baby and we could not be more excited for the Stilson clan. Few know what a triumph this is for them. More than a decade of infertility, multiple miscarriages, the blessings of adoption, birth and now the blessings of another baby....

I will never know the depth of their heartache....but I have shed tears of sorrow and cried for joy with them.

For me, now is the time for joy.....For our father its a time of deep fear, anxiety and confusion....

Kelli put off telling Dad for months....worried about his reaction. Less than two weeks ago and nearly half way through this pregnancy, she finally felt the moment was right. "Dad you're going to be a Grandpa again!" No reaction, none at all, she might as well been mentioning the weather....

Why can't he share in our joy?......

Days went by....Then the question "Are you still pregnant?" At least he remembered, I guess....He called me several times in two days...."Is Kelli going to lose this pregnancy??" "Is this pregnancy viable?"  Over and over I answered his questions and reassured him that this was a happy thing. Nothing but fear....

Over the last week his fear has turned to obsession....

Dad is phoning Kelli eight plus times a day...."Are you still pregnant?!?" always the first question.....If she doesn't answer the phone he will phone her work, her mother in law, me....demanding to know where she is....if she is still pregnant....

Dad phoned me four times yesterday afternoon/evening....Where is Kelli, is her pregnancy okay?? His voice full of fear and trepidation....Kelli lives two thousand miles away...but "I'd bet a million dollars that everything is just fine", I reassure him over and over and over and over.....

My heart breaks for Kelli that our Dad can't share in this joy. Its hard to know how to react with him....His behavior is inappropriate and ridiculous. {Exacerbated by his boxed wine obsession} We swing from sorrow for him to frustration and anger....Anger towards a parent seems so wrong... I guess its anger towards his choices, not him.

Joy, happy, ecstatic, excited....that's what every single Krazy Kramer here feels for our much anticipated new niece or nephew, the awesomest Aunt and Uncle and the soon to be big brother and big sister. Joy is our choice.

I cannot compensate for my Dad, but I want Kelli, Jason, Zach and Mya to know how excited we are for you. We love you. Thanks for sharing the joy!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Robin, I wish I was closer and could help . . . help my uncle find the joy, help my cousin with the impending arrival. Just know I'm sending love to all of you from St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete