Friday, March 1, 2013

Pants Please!


***WARNING***

***I have been a mother bear this week...this post is as diplomatic as I can muster...stop reading now if you are easily offended or think yoga pants solve everything :)***


I have a daughter who hates shopping, clothes shopping... I can't blame her, finding clothing that is age appropriate, modest and that fits can be difficult and disappointing and near impossible straight off the rack...

My daughter is beautiful, strong, hilarious, out going, and acts like she is invincible, the life of the party. But underneath that is a tender hearted girl who has dealt with  not quite fitting in a body obsessed world since grade school. Bullied, teased, she has always dealt with it with humour and she is dang funny...So most don't have a clue how deeply and often hurt my daughter has been.

Then came the dilemma of the pants....

I was unaware of the pants dilemma until my daughter had already tried several ways of solving it herself...Pants or jeans were a requirement for this weekends activity.

My daughter doesn't wear or own pants or jeans. To her they are the equivalent of a torture chamber As her body shape makes fit, especially length near impossible. She wears long board shorts or capris and is always clean and modest. For us it's a non issue.

Her asking for an exception was not out of defiance or rebellion or disobedience, but simply a desire to be comfortable in front of her peers and in her own skin.

Just go to the thrift shop... Buy a pair of yoga pants, they fit everyone....

I have said all week just go in what you are comfortable in, but my Daughter didn't want to upset anyone or to be awkward or draw even more attention to herself. I couldn't blame her really.

Tonight we spent two hours in value village....searching and searching...she tired on more than a dozen pairs...all too small. My heart ached. Each time something doesn't work it only adds to her awkwardness. I just wish others, could understand how hard this is for my beautiful daughter...should jeans really matter that much.

Wear what ever you are comfortable in...but I don't want to stick out either....

Desperate for success, we try one last store....A pair of jeans that fits beautifully....the $90 price tag was pennies for a girl that needs to FIT in.

Oh how I admire my daughter. Willing to try, even when it wasn't easy to do what was asked of her. She is simply an amazing girl. But to me modesty is enough when it comes to clothing.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment