Monday, September 9, 2013

Robin Can Read :)

I've read TWO books in the last week or so...I know?! and they didn't even have any pictures???
 
So, Superman came home from Stake Leadership (church meeting) Saturday evening....as usual we had the  'how was your meeting, did you learning anything' chat....'There is a book Bro. L talked about, but I can't remember the title' 'Well that's helpful???' ....So a few hours later  after we had crawled into bed, Grant says 'The Peacegiver....that's what its called.' ...I grabbed the ipad and handed to Grant...'Well order it?' I said...
 
 
Five minutes later I'm reading...(love technology!) and Grant had drifted into dreamland. It was midnight before I even looked at the clock...I was enthralled and couldn't but the book down (odd for me)...100 pages in my eyes finally gave up, half way through...Last night I finished the book....
 A parable, of sorts on forgiveness and the Atonement....
 
Forgiveness.... I have had some deeply personal struggles with..... its more the understanding of it, than the actual giving of it, that I struggle with, I guess...How do I continue to forgive those whose actions continue to cause deep wounds? How do I forgive hurts where there will never be an 'I'm sorry'?....Its been a very recent struggle for me.
 
Reading this book gave me a new perspective on forgiveness....that the Atonement makes up for the heartache and hurts others' actions, sins cause for those around them...I had never thought about it from that view before. That forgiveness has very little to do with the one being forgiven and EVERYTHING to do with the forgiver....
 
Such a good and needed read....
 
 
While we were in Utah Grant picked up Jeffrey R Holland's new book....

So life has not gone as planned lately (understatement)...Some deeply personal struggles continue, even after much prayer and tears...At times, especially recently I have felt  just so alone...people don't really ask anymore, if we are okay...
 
But still our lives right now definitely feel like 'Times of Trouble'....
So this book is perfect.
 
'No matter what the trouble and trial of the day may be, we start and finish with the eternal truth the God is with us' 
 
Elder Holland shares beautiful insight into the solace the Psalms provide.
I loved the comfort in this book. A DVD was included  where Elder Holland discusses the challenging issues we all face...
'All of our paths to eternity will lead (at least for a time) through Gethsemane...(the DVD might be even better than the book, I can't really decide :))
 
 
Comfort and courage to just keep going.  

2 comments:

  1. Your post makes me think of this poem that I love so much by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

    Gethsemane

    by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

    In golden youth when seems the earth
    A Summer-land of singing mirth,
    When souls are glad and hearts are light,
    And not a shadow lurks in sight,
    We do not know it, but there lies
    Somewhere veiled under evening skies
    A garden which we all must see --
    The garden of Gethsemane.

    With joyous steps we go our ways,
    Love lends a halo to our days;
    Light sorrows sail like clouds afar,
    We laugh and say how strong we are.
    We hurry on; and hurrying, go
    Close to the border-land of woe,
    That waits for you, and waits for me --
    For ever waits Gethsemane.

    Down shadowy lanes, across strange streams,
    Bridged over by our broken dreams;
    Behind the misty caps of years,
    Beyond the great salt fount of tears,
    The garden lies. Strive as you may,
    You cannot miss it in your way.
    All paths that have been, or shall be,
    Pass somewhere through Gethsemane.

    All those who journey, soon or late,
    Must pass within the garden's gate;
    Must kneel alone in darkness there,
    And battle with some fierce despair.
    God pity those who cannot say,
    Not mine but thine, who only pray,
    Let this cup pass, and cannot see
    The purpose in Gethsemane.

    ReplyDelete