Sunday, February 2, 2014

D$#@ You, Groundhog Day!!!!


I had a feeling I should have just stayed in bed this morning, safely ignoring the world. 

But I'm a good mediocre Mormon and Church is what we do on Sundays. After all it was a Ward fast for all those who are sick and afflicted and since, depending on which books you read, we have one of those. I felt I needed to go...

Dragging myself out of bed, I didn't bother waking Superman, he had had a rough night and I couldn't bring my self to disturb his, well fought for sleep...

I roust the rug rats and race for the shower (it's. Mine. First.)...my hair still dripping...I re-wake the rats...and fight my tights...all while ignoring the chorus of "do we have toos"

I stop at the computer desk just long enough to find the check book and check my email...

I'm two words in to the only message and I'm fighting back tears... The words hurt. I swing between anger and sorrow. Mostly sorrow...one more off my team.

I sit in Church, it isn't until I'm handed the bulletin that I see the date February 2nd...
Oh _____ it's Groundhog Day. And I suddenly want to run to the safety of my warm covers and just pretend this day never even started.

Groundhog Day, was my Dad's day...the holiday my sister and I had christened just for him and not because the rodent...no, it's the Movie...

Remember Bill Murray and the same Feb 2nd on repeat over and over...that was what my Dad's last decade was like...the same questions on repeat, over and over as he struggled to just remember...

On the worst days Kelli or I would say..."It must be Groundhog Day..." 

Today I suddenly missed his endless phone calls and same three questions and his I love you too's. Today I miss my Dad.

I tried desperately to feel the comfort of the building I was sitting in...but couldn't shake the sad...

Coming home meant facing Supermans struggle, not my sad. Sigh.

Sometimes Sundays suck and sometimes Sundays are awesome. This Sunday could be a vacuum cleaner if it wanted too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment