Sunday, February 2, 2014

Snake Oil

You know what it's like when you have your first bundle of joy and everybody can't wait to share their two cents on everything from breast feeding to cloth diapers to crying it out???

And you're that brand new mom left feeling bombarded, overwhelmed and judged incapable???

Oh...Yeah....that feeling?!

I hate that feeling.

It's the same feeling you get when everybody knows your family struggles with Mental Heath issues and for some reason thinks that knowledge has opened the flood gates for their unsolicited advice...

Oh...yeah...I hate that feeling!

Just like a new mom needs the time, space and latitude to just figure out what works for her...

That's what we need. 

It's happened many times recently...I open yet another email, with yet another alternative treatment offered, usually requiring me to spend big $$$$ and asking me to do something...

I know it's well intentioned and not meant to offend.

And I just don't respond, anymore...

But honestly I think "why can't you JUST be my/our friend??"

Our choice to deal with bipolar through conventional medicine and therapies is an educated one.(specific to our family)

Don't tell me what to do. Ask me what I need.


0 comments:

Post a Comment