Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Emotional Missionary Momma

I was surprised by the emotions that came as we prepared to and then sent Bailey on her mission....

From the time we Mormons are small we sing "I hope they call me on a mission....when I have grown a foot or two..."

 I never imagined I'd have a kid that would grow a foot or two and then actually want to serve a mission....

I was excited for Bailey's desire and supported her decision whole heartedly....But I wondered if it was right for her and if she could do it....

Grant had tried to serve but came home from the MTC on a medical release, never going back. There was a sorrow in that return that was never really acknowledged, but decades later an admitted heart ache...

Its a sensitive subject still and didn't want that heart ache for Bailey...But Mommas worry.

I first saw that she could do it as she tearfully said goodbye at the airport, facing fears and showing the depth of her courage, way braver than her momma....
I struggled to let her go. There was a moment of "But she's mine!!!!" But then there was the quiet remembering that she was Heavenly Father's first and that this good bye was worth the growth....


I then heard it on Mother's Day.... as she told us all about the MTC, "I'm so tired, but it's so AWESOME" and my worries waned even more.

Then in her email last week came "I'm having the time of my life!!!!" and my worries were nearly gone...I think she's got this, I convinced myself....

Then the phone call came from the airport...

I could just feel her excitement and the spirit fill my heart as we talked. I think she has grown, spiritually at  least, 10 years in the last ten days. I was humbled, slightly shocked and amazed, as Bailey shared a testimony and understanding beyond her years...

I am convinced that missionary work is a matter of miracles, Heavenly Father takes special care with His missionaries....That has never been more evident to me than today as I heard my daughter bare a mighty testimony, of the power the Gospel has to change lives...I am humbled by how it has change her and in turn, changed us.

I even got through the entire call without shedding a tear, I may or may not have sobbed after, but I'm claiming joyful tears. :)


Grateful for a Heavenly Father that patiently, calmed and humbled this worried Mom, over and over.

Bailey made it to the mission field this afternoon and I now with certainly that she is exactly where she is supposed to be.

 I'm excited to watch this journey continue...

0 comments:

Post a Comment