Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Medicated.

 

Superman and I say next to nothing as we drive to his scheduled appointment. Both of us are nervous, but neither willing to admit it to the other.... He's praying I won't say too much, I'm praying that I can communicate my worry without it being miss understood or trivialized....

It's been interesting around here. Not horrible, but definitely not rainbows either...

 And the last month or so I have come away from a few different interactions with others and felt misunderstood, trivialized and felt I had to justify ourselves, our situation and our choices...again...And that my friends has a funny way of playing havoc with stuff like courage and tenacity and my goal to stop swearing before I die...

We walk in to the familiar office and sit down and Superman gives me that look, which I totally ignore....

Over the next half-hour or so...we discuss things that aren't funny, but we laughed...we explained things that some can't understand but we were completely understood and validated and we made new choices and hoped for brighter days, ahead....and said thank you.

We climbed back in the van. Relieved, grateful and exhausted....

Psychiatry appointments are exhausting, they make us face our reality....One that others have tried to tell us isn't so...but one we have embraced, accepted and strongly medicated. :)




Medication is toxic...Medication is the easy way out....Medication makes you an addict....Medication is evil... You haven't tried hard enough, if you turn to pills....Before you medicate you should try{fill in the stupid blank}

Trust me we've heard it all....judgements masqueraded as a desire to help and inform...and it does neither...

Medication is our lifesaver literally and figuratively... significantly reducing the suicide risk and keeping mania at bay.  The longer mania is present the more the brain is damaged cognitively , (similar to having a stroke}  it took along time to get Grant's illness under control and damage was done. Medication will be required for life...it's a difficult reality, but it's OURS and we know it to be true, because we have walked this road for a long time and have trusted professionals that have guided us graciously along it

Medication is a tender mercy. How grateful I am for modern medicine, that mental illness is more understood today, that we have been guided to the right professionals and constantly guided in our choice of treatment.

Grateful for good doctors, good friends and good drugs. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment