Saturday, November 29, 2014

You Are HEALED.

It was around 12 or 13, that Kelli and I would sneak out of bed to watch Saturday Night Live, Dana Carvey's Church Lady, our favourite....Kelli's dead on impression of "Who could it be...Satan?" Was something my mom never appreciated and I of course found hilarious ...

 It was around the same time I first remember watching evangelical preachers on TV, usually while getting ready Sunday morning for our own, far less theatrical, Sacrament Meeting...why my mom had a fascination with these shows I never thought to ask....the only thing I remember from those shows, the classic, palm to the forehead " you are HEALED" and then the wheelchair bound recipient miraculously walking across the stage....

In all our junior high wisdom we repeated our best Church Lady and you are healed schtick countless times a day for any audience, willing or not  ...so even now I can't hear the word HEALED, without thinking of those SNL / TV preacher glory days.

A sentence read this week put me right back there. {palm-forehead-you-are-healed}

It was a serious emailed reply...but I couldn't help chuckling first.

Healed.

For what felt like forever we prayed that Superman would be healed. That we'd wake up one morning and the struggle would be gone. We tried harder, you know with those commandments, and such...But healed, simply didn't happen. In fact, for a while it seemed the harder we tried the crazier we it got...

I don't know exactly when I stopped asking for healing, but that prayer hasn't crossed my mind in quite sometime...finally accepting that healing wasn't what we needed most, was a good thing...

Sure I still pray, lots actually....

For inspiration in the moment on that really bad day that came out of no where.
For a nights sleep and a better perspective in the morning.
For good doctors to be inspired.
For my kids to stop irritating me.
For someone else the strength to do the laundry.

It amazes me how many of my prayers are answered.... when I accepted that the one I thought I wanted most, would not be.... It's not that we don't deserve healing, everybody does...It's that HF has a different plan for us and I am learning to trust that....and when I think about it, we are given some pretty good  blessing to help us travel this (sometimes really hard) journey.....

So no he's not HEALED and I'm sorry you feel really bad about that....but really we are ok...honestly...no seriously....

So now to the really important stuff...
So, Kelli can you still do a mean Church Lady???


 








0 comments:

Post a Comment