Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shopping Done & The 10-Second-Rule Gone Wrong

Simpler Times...First Day of School September 2002....Bailey grade 2, Holly grade 3, Madison grade 1...Raymond, Alberta


Yesterday we finished back to school shopping with all the ankle biters,minus one. Holly was volunteering with Parks and Rec. Since our budget is limited(or if you ask the kids"Mom's CHEAP!") We buy new shoes, socks and underwear but the rest is all second hand. We live in a community full of great second hand stores so its easy to do. I can usually put the kids back to school for around $500 total. Shoes, Backpacks, Clothes, Supplies for all 5 kids. I think its a talent.


This is the first year I feel like I have had to really let go. We have two rules with clothes. It's modest...and you have to wear it more than twice. (my money, my rules) Bailey picked out ankle boots and gladiator sandals...not my idea of practical but I'm also not fifteen. Holly got Uggs and flats... (boots and dress shoes...age 30+ translation). I was told with a very grand eye roll that "Brown is not my colour mom." as only a 15 year old can. My eleven year old,the resident fashionista, is going for the run way look, trying to accessorize down to the coordinating scarf and earrings.Alex your going to sixth grade...not clubbing it. I miss the days of crayons and Old Navy hoddies. Madison will only wear plaid shorts and zip up hoddies...it does snow here...but apparently they don't feel cold. My only saving grace is that Dallyn will wear anything you tell him to...he hates shopping and mopes around like a little lost puppy. Boys are men from the minute they are born. I'm just glad they are all ready to go back and I have a few dollars left in the bank.


On a side note:


For lunch yesterday we stopped at Wendy's... We are all eating as we watch Dallyn drop a french fry on the floor....he bends down to pick it up (isn't he helpful, I think)...he looks at it and shoves it in is mouth , faster than I can anticipate what he was really doing. We all yell...DALLYN THAT'S DISGUSTING!!!! "The 10 second rule." Dallyn says, nonchalantly. "That's at home, Dallyn...Not. At. Wendy's! Grant and I say in unison. Dallyn: Ohhh....Boys are gross.

2 comments: