Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jazz. Hot Chocolate. Friends = AWESOME

Friday night I was sitting with a bunch of friends, in a coffee shop, sipping a fancy hot chocolate and listening to a dear friend sing jazz and Christmas standards with her amazing jazz quartet......yes, I live a blessed and charmed life. Friends. Hot Chocolate. Music. All soothing to my soul.....

We were indoctrinated with Jazz and all things music growing up....every single happy memory I have as a child involved music. Watching my dad direct the marching band at football half time, listening to my mom play hymns as she woke us up on a Sunday morning, listening to my dad captivate an audience of students and peers as he taught the intricate rhythms of jazz percussion, mom taking us to Les Mis for the first time in LA.....I learned early the power of music. The spirit of peace music brings. I learned early to seek good music to calm and sooth and provide clarity.

When Mom could no longer share her gift of Music, I mourned as hands that once glided, could no longer find middle C. And now as my dad who could once read a symphony score in his sleep, struggles to remember my name, what day it is, or his grandchildren I mourn once again....

But their love and legacy of music remain.....

So as I sat among dear friends, sipping hot chocolate, listening to music my parents taught me to love, I felt gratitude, gratitude for dear friends who are family and also happen to be insanely musically inclined and peace, peace that is still possible when you live my crazy life :)

Thanks Swing Set for soothing the soul :)

2010....



0 comments:

Post a Comment