Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gratitude for Grandpa

Burying a parent makes for a difficult heart wrenching day....but for now I will be forever grateful for a day to honor my Dad.

Today's gratitude list...

Brad, my cousin who eloquently captured Dad's life in words filled with love, laughter and a good dose of Merrill wit, that obviously does not skip generations.

Uncle John, who shared "Les" stories that had us laughing and shedding a tear, as most could relate our very own "Les" experience

Kamaile (Sis Pung)(& Jorge) who sang beautifully, and was my little piece of Courtenay comfort on a sad day

The Superman who shared his testimony of our eternal nature and comfort in our grief.

Aunts, uncles, cousins and friends who showed endless love and kindness to two grieving daughters

My nephew Zach who grabbed my hand as I followed the casket out of the chapel, and said when he noticed I was crying "It's ok Aunt Robin, you'll see him again"

The vast array of jello salads at the luncheon, that reminded me yes we are in Utah and gave me something to secretly mock, I mean smile about.

And my sweet Superman who as we were collecting flowers after the graveside service, looked at me with a big bunch of roses and said "Happy Anniversery!?!" giving Kelli and I (and I'm sure Dad) something to laugh at.

The chance to say goodbye in the way we chose.

My knowledge that families are forever.

1 comment:

  1. This is so lovely, Robin . . . I hope you know I was there in spirit, thinking of all of you all day yesterday. Hard to wrap my head around the fact that my Dad is the last Merrill brother left.

    ReplyDelete