Thursday, April 26, 2012

Memory Quilt

Look, I finished a project the same week, I started it....

Kelli had gone to California the weekend before Dad's passing to pick up his car and bring back his pictures and other personal effects. She also grabbed about thirty of his favourite sweat shirts and thought we could make some quilts out of them.

Now Kelli's a sewer...I mean she can actually use a machine without the manual and without curse words....me I'm just learning....But I was not to be out crafted by my sister (us competitive?) so when she offered to make my memory quilt for me, I said, no I can do it....

I've never made a quilt before....but I do know how to google.



 
Now google said to interface the t-shirts....I didn't want to look like an idiot at the fabric store so I didn't do it...I should have...interfacing stops it from stretching...

I then made patches to dress the quilt up a bit....I googled simple colouring book pages and then cut the picture out of felt.
Once I finished the top I had no idea where to go from there...I didn't have a quilting frame but found a great tutorial here

All I needed was my laminate floor and painters tape and safety pins....it worked great.


Then I sewed the crap out of it....


It turned out better than I thought, as long as you don't look too close, it looks like I knew what I was doing :)

Any one who knew my Dad well knows why this is funny :)

1 comment: