Wednesday, June 20, 2012

C. Homeschooling....

I can't believe I'm even considering it.....

A. Never shaving again

B. Becoming a vegan

C. Home schooling

A. maybe...B. never....C. well... yes

I know, weird eh? And all those years I made fun of homeschoolers!?! ;)

Well and let me clarify....Its one child, and its one year and its kind of half conventional school and half home school...But I think its best for a said child of mine...

Said child has had a really rough year at school...(and I am under no false assumptions that said child is an easy student, just sayin')

For many reasons really....I knew the student-teacher match was probably not the right one, early on, but I have never requested a teacher change and have always felt that learning to work with all people is a life skill...That was simply the wrong decision.

In fairness our family has been through a challenging year....It has affected our kids, but mostly I have not been as checked in when it comes to home work, assignments etc....I've let a lot of things slide...

The teachers job action has greatly affected parent teacher communication and made a tough situation harder....

I received an email from the teacher last week asking me to make sure said child handed in a missing assignment....I apologized for not being on top of things, briefly explained we'd had a challenging year and said the child would be reminded, but ultimately responsible.....

When the said child came in the door , lets just say, we had a discussion. Said child was positive that the work was handed in. ....

The teacher's reply email sympathized and said she was aware of my difficult year, but included a laundry list of other issues and further missing assignments...sigh....

 Assignments said child again was positive were already handed in.

The following day I receive an email stating that all but one of the assignments had been found in the teacher's files and the missing assignment was a work sheet said student didn't receive because he was absent....SIGH...

Frustration. I am all over holding my kids accountable, it is their homework and their responsibility...but when they have been completely honest with me and I have given them crap and doubted them, unfairly...Its hard to undo....Especially...for a kid who has struggled and struggled and struggled all year....

"Mom, please home school me next year! I hate school" Said kid has said several times over the last few months...

So we are now looking at all our options for next year and chalking this year up to a year full of lessons :)

1 comment:

  1. Hindsight is always so clear Robin.
    Sounds like the teacher needs to learn
    more about bullying in the classroom--just
    sayin. Maybe talk to the principal and get
    the said child into a great teacher's class
    for next year if the principal can be on
    board and do it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete