Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Today, I Miss Him


{This picture, at the Nixion Presidential Library, always makes me laugh,
Dad was a die-hard democrat, but called Richard Nixion's birthplace home for 40 years,
I think he jumped for joy the day Nixion was impeeched}

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but today I'm really missing my Dad...I've tried to talk myself out of it all morning, I don't want my heart to hurt today. But the more I try to ignore it, the closer the tears seem to the surface...
I miss the 17 phone calls a day, the notes written on sheet music or programs in his distinctive all caps style, even the same three questions "How are: me-the kids-the weather?  But most of all I miss his "I love you too's"
{Kelli found this is Dad's home, a painting of Dad,
done by one of his music students}

It's life's quiet days that are the hardest....The last few weeks of crazy have been a blessing. But grief is a journey one cannot avoid forever. So today I will miss him, and let the tears come.




A quote taken from this Deseret News article

We solemnly declare that death is just another step in the plan and that we will, one day, be reunited with our loved ones.
However, this doesn’t mean we don’t mourn the loss of ones so special to us. As Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, “…hope stands quietly with us at funerals. Our tears are just as wet, but not because of despair. Rather, they are tears of heightened appreciation evoked by poignant separation” (Neal A. Maxwell, “Hope through the Atonement of Jesus Christ,” Ensign, Nov. 1998, 61).


3 comments:

  1. Wise of you to embrace the mourning process. In my experience you never know what the trigger will be to cause you to say "I really miss him" and it may come years after he is gone. Thanks for the post, it gives me more food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you are going through this. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that quote at the end. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete