Monday, April 28, 2014

Bailey's Farewell Talk

Bailey spoke in Sacrament meeting yesterday.....
It was such a sweet awesome crazy day, shared with so many and we felt so loved!!!! 
I will post about the mashed potato madness  later :)






For now I will share Bailey's talk and the song sung for Bailey by Sister Anderson  (love her!). 



 
 
 

Bailey was so nervous, but spoke with a sweet quiet confidence....

{if you want the Cliff Notes version, read the bold type ;)}
After his resurrection the lord commanded his disciples to "go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy ghost" In fulfillment of this command, able young men and women  in the church have a duty to prepare spiritually, physically, and emotionally  to serve as full time missionaries.

many of you may wonder how i came to the decision to serve a full time mission for me i never had a ah-ha  moment or a big event happen that made me want to serve. the truth is i never really thought about serving a mission til one sunday my dad and i were walking home and out of the blue he said that if i served a full time mission it would change our family. At the time i just pushed it aside thinking my dads just being my dad. But after i couldn't stop thinking about it. about a week late i found myself  in my parents room and at that time i still hadn't made the decision for myself to go but i found my self saying it "mom dad i am going on a mission " after i was still very unsure  but my mom being who she is jumped right on board  and soon i was getting my wisdom teeth pulled and my forms completed even then it still didn't feel real...soon i met with my bishop and stake president and my forms were sent then began the waiting that had to be the worst part  knowing that anyday i would get my call it wasnt till dec. 30th that my call came. even then i was very unsure. for me knowing that serving a mission was what i needed to do didnt hit me til just a few weeks ago when i went through the temple. the temple gave me the opportunity to leave all my worries and doubt about a mission behind and focus on the importance of serving a mission. it gave of the peace that i needed to realize that serving  a mission wont only benefit me but also my family.

so what is a missionary?
Missionaries generally begin serving when they are from 19 to 21 years old. Many retired seniors, men, women, and married couples also serve missions. Missionaries serve from 18 months to 2 years. Missions are voluntary, and missionaries are not paid for their service. Missionaries come from around the world, and they serve wherever the Church calls them. While serving full-time, missionaries are official representatives of the Church.
After over a month of waiting and checking the mail box everyday my call finally came...
(read mission call)
even reading my call now i still get the same feelings i had feelings of excitement and joy and an overwhelming feeling of  "oh my goodness this is actually happening" i was shocked they were sending me to Halifax its the farthest from home i could be while still staying in my country. but over all i was comforted knowing that i was able and worthy enough to get the mission call.
 from Richard G. Scotts talk from the april 2014 conference and he says... “For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.”1
We best serve our Father in Heaven by righteously influencing others and serving them.5 The greatest example who ever walked the earth is our Savior, Jesus Christ. His mortal ministry was filled with teaching, serving, and loving others. He sat down with individuals who were judged to be unworthy of His companionship. He loved each of them. He discerned their needs and taught them His gospel. He invites us to follow His perfect example. end quote Jesus Christ really is the perfect example of missionary work he devoted his whole life to teaching and bringing souls to his father's gospel. even knowing all the pains and struggles he would have to endure knowing that it was for us it was enough for him because he loves us unconditionally.   one of the best missionary tools that Jesus Christ showed us is to love one another Richard G. Scott says...  We must be sure to sincerely love those we want to help in righteousness so they can begin to develop confidence in God’s love. For so many in the world, the first challenge in accepting the gospel is to develop faith in a Father in Heaven, who loves them perfectly. It is easier to develop that faith when they have friends or family members who love them in a similar way.

Giving them confidence in your love can help them develop faith in God’s love. Then through your loving, thoughtful communication, their lives will be blessed by your sharing lessons you have learned, experiences you have had, and principles you have followed to find solutions to your own struggles. Show your sincere interest in their well-being; then share your testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. he goes on to say... Keep your sharing of the gospel simple.Your personal testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ is a powerful tool. . Accompanying resources are prayer, the Book of Mormon and the other scriptures, and your commitment to priesthood ordinances. All of these will facilitate the direction of the Spirit, which is so crucially important for you to rely upon. End quote  to many when they think about missionary work they say they never have the opportunity or  the time or that it is only for the missionary but missionary work is for everyone and it becomes easier to share the gospel when you live it doing your prayer study your book of Mormon and committing to those priesthood ordinances and promises  will as Elder Scott said directed the spirit. to those people that you will share the gospel with. i know that just your testimony can make people want to know more. And when sharing the gospel don't ever  be afraid that people might ask questions that you may not know the answer to because i know of 4 young people in that ward that would love to answer their questions. we should never be afraid  of what people might think if we share the gospel with them because we should all be a beacon to others i know that when we project that light of the gospel people will want to know more they will want to feel what you feel when you live the gospel.
i know that for myself following  Jesus Christ's example and giving up 18months of my live to serving my father in heaven wont only bless the lives of the people i will teach but it will greatly bless my life it will help my faith and testimony grow greatly! and help me continue my missionary work after i come home.
i say these things in the name of Jesus Christ amen.


Bailey, we are so excited to see this journey unfold for you.

Thank you to all for share this day with us, in spirit or person. We love you!!!!!
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment