Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Baking

Grant & I don't spend a lot of money at Christmas. We buy for the kids but ever body else gets homemade goodies. The only problem is in our house anything that even resembles a cookie never lasts long. So I usually have to get it all done and packaged at once, if it has any hope of making it to its intended recipient. Today I have spent the day baking....Cinnamon Rock Candy (I know the picture is out of focus) Super hard to find the Cinnamon Oil (extract is not strong enough) but well worth the search.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cinnamon-Rock-Candy



Dipped Shortbread

1c Icing Sugar

1lb Butter

3c Flour

1/2c Cornstarch
Vanilla
Whip butter for 15 minutes (or til your arm is sore) add everything else whip 15 more minutes
Shape into balls, press with a fork , bake 10 minutes. Once cooled, dip in chocolate.
***dipping anything in Chocolate, makes people think your the next Martha Stewart***




Sugar Cookies
My friend Dawn gave me this recipe 15 years ago and I've used it ever since. It works every time and is easy to roll out.
1/2 c margarine
1c Sugar
1 egg
2 Tb Milk
2c Flour
2 ts Baking Powder
1/2 ts Salt
Cream wet ingredients, mix in dry. Roll out & bake 10 minutes @350 F
Butter cream Frosting (from The Sisters Cafe):
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups butter


Ginger Bread, I actually use a Ginger Snap Recipe.
This is the icing recipe...icing dries hard.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/sugar-cookie-icing/Detail.aspx



Hopefully 75 % of these cookies make it out of the house, but we'll see. Tomorrow I'll tackle the Butterscotch Haystacks, Snowball Cookies, Toffee and Peppermint Cookies or maybe I'll just take a nap :)





1 comment:

  1. Wow-you have been busy! I wish I was one of your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete