Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Little Christmas Music


One of the best parts of Christmas for me is the music. But at the beginning of last week I wasn't really looking forward to Christmas. Probably for many reasons, it wasn't even December and the calender was already more than full, Grant most hectic time at work is now and mostly because I really miss family...


Life at this time of year is busy and having the RS Christmas Dinner, Hosting 22 as part of the Ward Christmas Party and a Seniors Christmas Lunch all landing in the same week has made life down right chaotic.


But at all these events it was music that stood out...


We live in a super musically talented Ward, we even joke that playing an instrument or singing is a requirement to move in. So, when you come up with a theme or topic for an event, it doesn't take long for someone to throw a program together complete with multi- part, multi- instrument, musical arrangements. Even our primary presentation last week had the 36 kids singing three part harmony. But of course I'm not bragging or anything.

The following music are just some of the highlights from the RS dinner & Ward Party:



I came across the "This is the Christ" hymn a couple of months ago and decided to use it as a theme for our RS Christmas Dinner...its more of an Easter song, but it worked... The other cool fact about this song is James E Faust wrote the lyrics.



"This Is The Christ"


This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,


Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.


This is the Christ, the healer of our souls


Who ransomed us with purest love divine!

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Mt-XHfWx4



"How Can I Keep From Singing":


I hadn't heard this one before and was so touched by the following lyrics.


No storm can shake my inmost calm

While to that Refuge clinging

Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth

How can I keep from singing?




"Guard Him Joseph":


Loved this....Also uses Pachelbel's Canon in D (my favourite piece of classical music)


Guard him, Joseph, from all danger; keep thy vigil nigh his bed


Let no harm nor grief befall him; stand thou in a father's stead


When his mother's arms be weary, hold him gently as thine own


For thou hast within thy keeping God's own well-beloved Son.

link:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6017398



"Lead Me To The Manger":


For when I reach the manger

I will humbly kneel

And give the child what's truly mine

I'll give the Lord my will

I'll give my sins to know Him

I'll give up everything

For this child in the manger is Jesus Christ my King


The lyrics here are so poignant. They illustrate a great quote by Neal A Maxwell:


“The submission of one’s will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God’s altar. The many other things we ‘give,’ … are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us. However, when you and I finally submit ourselves, by letting our individual wills be swallowed up in God’s will, then we are really giving something to Him! It is the only possession which is truly ours to give!”


link:

http://www.aaronwaite.com/sheetmusic/musicinfo/leadme.php


Needless to say, I am now looking forward to Christmas and so grateful for the gift of music.







0 comments:

Post a Comment