Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to School Tears

Okay, normally the thought of sending the rug rats back to school after their tag-team effort to make me crazy crazier all Summer long, makes me brake into a song and dance, reminiscent of Julie Andrews in a Nun habit. But this year is different,  way different....

I've shed more than a few tears, as I am forced by the Back to School supplies on my way to pick up milk...I've actually avoided shopping in general. Why the h*** should glue sticks and Crayola bring tears?

It's my Dad....

This will be the first school year, he won't be putting my kids back to school....

Dad placed a great importance on education, it was the public school teacher in him....

Every August, Dad would call and ask "How much do you want??" And then send me a check for that amount, and then some...

In the earlier years, while he was still able, he would go to the Vans store in Orange County and pick out a unique pair of shoes for each one of them...His taste was impeccable.

Dad was a life saver. I never paid for so much as a pencil for all of Holly's education. Clothes, shoes, back packs, supplies they had all they needed and more. I never took it for granted or for one second forget how blessed we were by his gift.

But now that he's gone, Crayola and glue sticks bring tears.

The Superman and I are able to pick up the torch and buy what they need...Still....It's just not the same.

I miss him.






0 comments:

Post a Comment