Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Emails and the Edge

I really thought I was fine...We had survived California well, hadn't we. It's over, mission accomplished. I'm not going to cry about this anymore. See I'm happy , I'm counting my blessing..See I'm running  moving forward...That's what I'm supposed to do right? I'm fine! Right ?!?!

Back story: Madison is the only one of the four (in school) who has had trouble catching up since we got back. Since Monday she has complained that her teachers (just two really) are not understanding..."Just get the work done and hand it in" "But mom, they are not helping me?" "Madison come on just do the work"....I really wasn't listening and thought Madison was just whining....I responded to two teacher emails complaining about Madison's lack of effort, sympathetically siding with the teacher's concerns saying I too was concerned....I am all about holding kids accountable....


Then I read this response again:

Thanks for getting back to me. Madison is starting to get caught up, and she's telling me that she's very close to getting all missing assignments in to me, but so far I have not seen them. I am going to suggest that Madison go to the Learning Assistance room this week for extra tutorial help at lunch and during X Block until she is caught up. If she does not get caught up this week, or does not go to the Learning Assistance Room, then I will sign her up for Room 100 where her attendance will be monitored. Neither of these options are to punish Madison....


Wait what??? Has to be caught up this week? Monitor her attendance??

This was my response (figuring the teacher did not know why we were gone)

Madison's recent absences were because of the death of her Grandfather and our obligation to clean out his home in California. It was a troubling difficult situation that is to personal to detail here. This was not a vacation and the absences were unavoidable....While I understand that you do not see this as punishment, Considering our circumstances, I would ask if you would please just give Madison a little more time.... Thank you.

Teacher's response:

I wasn't fully aware of why Madison was away....(thinking it was a family vacation to Disneyland)

I had done all I could before we left to inform teachers (phone, email) explaining the nature of the trip....

That aside: I was most disappointed in myself for not listening too and supporting Madison, first...and not being so preoccupied with appearing the "ever-responsible parent"....

Today was an overwhelming feeling of guilt, for the things my kids had to do in California. Nobody should have to do what they did, Kelli and I shouldn't of had to do what we did...But they did and we did...My kids worked their butts off, completely without complaint or judgement. I don't think I realised until today how physically and especially emotionally exhausted that was and the affects we all are still feeling....

For what ever reason having to defend Madison {if people could only understand how much she, herself did in California) today... brought an avalanche of tears, anger and guilt. It's been a rough rough day.

And I realise I'm not really okay, yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment