Sunday, January 20, 2013

Released.








Grant was released today from the Bishopric...A release Grant asked for and we knew was coming.

I listen with tears streaming down my cheeks as Grant talked to our Stake President on the phone several weeks ago. My heart broke as I heard him explain that his bipolar was in relapse and not responding to meds or treatment and that he was no longer able to serve in a calling he loved because of health concerns....Our stake president and friend was so kind and understanding  as he and Grant came to the decision that the calling was not a burden he needed to carry for now, instead focusing on health and healing.

My heart aches.This illness has cost my Superman such a high price. So many things have had to change over the last eighteen months since the  full blown relapse of mental illness came, just weeks after one Bishop was released and another called.  Its hard to comprehend why healing has not come in the way we have desired or prayed for. But that is not for us to figure out. I am just grateful for the three years he has been able to serve. And that a new family will now experience the blessings of this calling too.

Bishopric has been a wonderful blessing for Grant and our family. Lessons and friendships we will always cherish. I have seen countless times Grant reaching beyond his own strength to help another, finding words to comfort and teach that were not his own. I have watched as time and schedules always seemed to work out. The tender mercies of the calling never ceased to amaze us.

Maybe it's illness or maybe just life but Grant has always struggled with feelings of self worth and what I will cherish the most from these last three years is.....

Because Grant felt a great love for others and those he served with and he could feel our Heavenly Father's love for them, he began to really believe that his Heavenly Father loved him too and that he was worthy of that love. That transformation is a miracle.

Thank you Andreas and Michelle, Manfred and Ruby, Brian and Christine, Brad and Loni, Ron and Maggie we love you and your friendship and understanding mean the world to us especially as we have battled a difficult illness.You all have been our angels.

Calling change but friendships endure.

We are unsure what the future will hold but we will face it with the same courage, strength and hope that has carried us this far. Undaunted, with a knowledge that we are loved and we do not walk this journey alone.

Plus the kids are already fighting over who gets to sit next to Dad now....life simply move on and we are okay with that :).

3 comments:

  1. I think its unfair to have to use the term mental illness it also makes it sound like one can help it . it is illness as far as I am conserned it is devastating and relentless and I feel for you too as a fellow sufferer to know what you are up against.\|I pray things settle down for you ,sometimes we are not healed because it is In this state that we bring awareness to others heavenly father loves us just the same and for you Grant maybe a bit more as you are a fine man an and example to many.... Wishing you a speedy recovery and know you and Robin and your wonderful family are In my prayers love patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't lie, this made me tear up. You guys are such a wonderful family and taught me many, MANY lessons as a young teenager about selfless service and relying on the Lord to help you endure through trials. I will be forever grateful to you guys, and always have a deep love for your family. Take care and keep on truckin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know from experience that words don't often help in situations like this, but I figure they're worth saying anyway.

    You have served honourably, humbly and with love, and the effects of your many acts of service and kindness reach farther than you know. Nothing can take that away.

    I will always be honoured to call you friend.

    Jordon

    ReplyDelete