Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Birds & The Bees....Don't Laugh!

Holly & Alex Summer 2008


From the time I can remember, I have had a hard time keeping a straight face. I laugh in inappropriate situations all the time. Church, performances, reprimanding my kids, even a few funerals, the more serious it seems, the more funny I find it. I think it might be genetic, thanks to my Merrill side.




There is one occurrence that I know I am doomed before I start....the dreaded "birds and the bees" talk, both getting it and giving it. I remember my Mom sitting my sister and I down for the "talk" and giving up because I was laughing too hard to breathe much less listen. Fast forward a few decades...The first "birds and bees talk" in the Kramer house has become down right legendary, poor Holly. We, yes Grant & I, he knows me too well, decided to talk to Holly together. It all started with good intentions, but I don't remember getting more than a sentence out before my smile turned into a smirk, which tuned into hysterics in no time. The talk continued with Grant filling in the basic details while I nodded in agreement with tears streaming down my face. Holly in all her nine-year-old wisdom said,"Mom can't you take anything seriously!" Apparently not.




The rest of the "talks" haven't gone much better. Good thing the older girls have warned their younger sister. Alex came home from school today, tossed a folded piece of paper in my lap, &quickly exited the room. I unfolded the newsletter "The Always Changing Program...The grade 5 classes are about to study an important lesson on the early stages of puberty..." I didn't think my snickering was audible until I hear Alex from the other room "Mom please stop!, Its not funny" Sorry kids,I hope I haven't scared you for life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning, Robin! You really should write books.

    ReplyDelete