Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Denman & Hornby

A while back Grant and I took off for the day and decided to go to Denman and Hornby Islands. I had never been there and Grant hadn't been there since he was a kid, so we thought what the heck. The ferry to Denman is about 15 minutes from our house. At ten minute ferry ride and you're on Denman. Then its a 15 minute drive across Denman Island to the Hornby ferry, 10 minute ferry ride and then you are on Hornby.
Ford's Cove, Hornby Island

The sign on this garage says "The Garage Mahal" , Grant had to have a picture :)

Tribune Bay, Hornby Island

Chrome Island Lighthouse, just off the south tip of Denman Island

Sunset over Buckley Bay on the ferry ride home


Ok, so I'm not going to lie, Hornby and Denman were slightly underwhelming....
1. It was super expensive to get there, for Grant, the car and me it was just over $79 {there are prettier islands that cost much less to get to like Gabriola}
2. The every present aroma of pot in the air, I know it's BC but come on. Hornby especially had a party atmosphere.
3. It was super busy, every where, but especially at Tribune Bay, it reminded me of my beach going days, growing up in So. Cal....Not what we're used to. If you want a beach that is just as pretty and sandy but is almost vacant try Pachena Bay out by Banfield.


Next time....
1. We will go in the spring of early fall
2. Get a BC Experience Card from BC ferries, makes it way cheaper
3. Bring your own water, there is almost no drinkable water on either Island, prices for groceries is very high
4. Spend the night on the islands, one day is too rushed, plan for traffic and waits at the ferries

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this! I've always wanted to take the kids, but we haven't yet. I love Pachena Bay. Have you been to Saltspring before? That's on my summer list. We'll see.....

    ReplyDelete