Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ass.u.me. Nothing.

So this week I was sitting around waiting for my Superman to finish up, what he needed to do....When someone I know relatively well, Comes up to me and says "You sure wait around alot..." "Oh I don't really mind" I respond. "I'm sure this is when you really regret never getting your driver's license." (something I have never mention to her) "Not really" I say. "Well I know I'd die if I didn't have mine, I don't know how you function, but I guess relying on everybody else takes the stress off of you."....(I think she meant well?)

Now it is true, I DON"T DRIVE. It's a choice I have made, an educated choice. If anybody actually takes the time to ask why I'm always super willing to explain...but for those who assume, I tend to change the subject. Which is exactly what I did. Change the subject.

But it got me thinking. We often assume many things about the people around us...Should we?

We often to infer what our wants, desires and needs would be, onto someone elses life. Have you ever walked into someone else's house, lets assume it's an absolute disaster in our minds, cluttered, stuff everywhere?? Has your first thought been they sure need to clean this up, maybe I'll help them?? But if you actually asked those who lived there "How can I help you?" A clean house might not even be in there top ten. Maybe its help with a defiant teenager or a sick baby or just a friend to talk to that they need the most.

Assume nothing and always ask.....

I don't drive mostly because of cerebral palsy, something I have been mildly affected by since birth. I have zero depth perception, poor hand-eye coordination, and slow reflexes. I have learned to adapted in most areas in my life thanks to intensive physical and occupational therapy. I have had both feet reconstructed, spent more than two years of my life in a wheel chair, had corrective eye surgery and have yet to have won my terrible battle with gravity. Driving is difficult for me and we have made the decision that everyone is safer with me OFF the road. But my life is just about as normal as anyone, minus the driver's licence....

I am capable of getting myself anywhere I need to go, my legs work, I can even read a bus schedule, and I have a ton of friends who are willing to take me with them. I have never been afraid to ask for what I need. It's really a non issue.

I really hope no one ever pity's me for not driving. Pity bothers me, not the lack of a driver's license.
   

2 comments:

  1. Hard stuff. I hate the assumption stuff too. I try hard not to do the same, but it's sometimes hard to see the lens we see the world through, cause we're just too close to it.

    I think you are amazing. If I hadn't been sitting close by as you explained this to someone who asked, I never would have known that this is a part of your life. Call me unobservant, but I didn't even realize you didn't drive, cause you appeared on my door step in my hour of need without even a whisper about it.

    I appreciate the way you live your life :)

    ReplyDelete