Thursday, November 10, 2011

Robin'll Do It!

One of the only benefits of having a ton of kids (out here, people think anything over three, means yer crazy) is we have a built in team to get a ton of work done quickly. Plus, out of necessity and some church callings I have had experience in feeding a ton of people at once.....Unfortunately my Superman knows this and we get "volun-told" by said Superman a lot....

So Tuesday my favourite Superman says "Can you help me with the associate appreciation lunch at work?" [Translation: Robin I need you to do the lunch at work]. When?: Thursday [as in this]. How many?150 [as in people] Who's helping? [the kids]

Because I kind of like the challenge and the Superman's boss has been really kind to us...I mostly didn't mind.

So the Superman had suggested a baked potato bar and salad to the Management team, something none of them had heard of {obviously never been to a (lds) church diner.:)}

So here's what we served:

Baked Potatoes

Toppings
-Butter
-Sour Cream
-Bacon Bits
-Broccoli
-Cheese
-Chili
-Green Onions

Salad

Squares




Here are my tips:
Shred the cheese yourself, way cheaper that way (by half)
Store everything in Ziploc bags easy to store in the fridge and transport, less dishes if you are just refilling
To steam the chopped broccoli just add a couple of Tbs of water leaving the corner of the bag open, microwave for 5-8 minutes (worked perfectly)
My favourite site ever for figuring out quantities:  Ellen's Kitchen

I have a pet peeve for store bought bag salad so I usually make it myself. Use only sturdy veggies, no tomatoes or cucumber. Mix in large Zip locs. I have even use the gigantic sized ones if the salad is being served all at once. Romaine and Spinach hold up longer than iceberg.


We bought 80 lbs of russet (bake the best for buffet style)
I never wrap them in foil, safer that way. When they are wrapped it can allow bacteria to grow, when serving over time. Plus the buffet line moves quicker with no one trying to unwrap a hot potato and less garbage...

I also made a stock pot of chili:

Costco size hamburger
2 large onions
4 green peppers
#10 can tomato sauce
#10 can kidney beans
#10 can baked beans
spices

This made the perfect quantity and defiantly requires the largest pot you own, always cook slowly over low heat to prevent burning.

We used plug in turkey roasters to bake and keep the potatoes warm, and crock pots to serve the chili.


I couldn't have done it without the help of my teenagers. Luckily I have a great ability to ignore their whining (practice, practice, practice) But we got it all prepped and put together in less than four hours...Yeah us :)

A little more notice next time kay Super :) Unless this is now a competition ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment