Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What A Year...

For two years we tried to keep the status quo...retail management, Church leadership, family responsibilities, volunteer work, recreational activities, social lives...the list of responsibilities and expectations, endless...

All while battling, as quietly as possible, the return of an increasingly unstable and unforgiving illness...

An emergency visit with the doctor required us to immediately face that fact that Superman was seriously ill...strong medication and medical leave... our world fell apart at the seams

That was a year ago today, our last day of normal. My heart already knew, what my head refused to accept at the time. Life as we knew it had changed.

The following few weeks were the scariest we have faced yet. A mostly private hell of illness and uncertainty ...

I woke up many mornings, not sure I had the strength required to get through day, praying we could just have our old lives back...I was certain that if we just lived our lives perfectly, righteously...of course Heavenly Father would bless us with a reprieve and return to normal...

That was not to be and the illness intensified and proved even more difficult to treat...devastated. I longed for and eventually mourned, normal...



A year later, we still face our Everest....

No there has been no miraculous healing or even a reprieve. Superman is still struggling and maybe always will.

But we are still standing and able to climb that Everest, with an acceptance and understanding and peace, I thought would never come..... and the miracle of that is not lost on me.

I no longer pray for the return of our old normal...normal is so boring :)

I pray for the courage to continue to accept Heavenly father's will for our family.

The blessings of the last year outweigh the challenges and I feel nothing but gratitude for that.

I love you Superman,  your courage and strength and tenacity, humbles me always. You really are our Superhero.

Thank you, thank you , thank you to all for the overwhelming support and love we have felt this last year. We are loved.






































1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog. You have an amazing writing skill. Each time I read it my heart is lifted and I smile at your awesome sense of humor. I feel blessed that we share a bond of our daughters serving in Halifax!

    ReplyDelete