Saturday, February 25, 2012

Admittedly Hard

I think I have some how floated through February...pretending I could handle everything thrown at us. Its hard not to feel overwhelmed...

The last several mornings, my Sister has related to me the increasingly odd and concerning behavior my father has experienced as well as several falls....This afternoon Kelli called me to let me know that Dad was being admitted to the hospital, the first time since his bout with polio over 62 years ago...

Dad has pneumonia, dehydration, and some kind of other infection....his MRI showed significant brain atrophy and other issues, his chest x-ray also concerning...Dad has lost more than 6 lbs in as many days...

I know its a standard question " Would your father want a DNR?" But when Kelli relayed it to me. I started to cry. At least Kelli and I are on the same page and I have a sister that I trust with any decision...

"Should I come??" Its a question I've battled with since the beginning of the month. Kelli knows me well. "Robin, he's not Dad anymore...The trauma might be overwhelming" Watching mom die was horrible, it has left me with some deep scars. "Do what you need to, I will completely understand" We feel its okay for me to wait and see what the next few days bring...

I hate this, I hope that medication and care get him feeling better, but my biggest prayer is that he doesn't needlessly suffer.

Why is this so hard....

0 comments:

Post a Comment