Thursday, September 30, 2010

Twins? Didn't Even Know You Were Sisters?

Tomorrow is mine & my sister Kelli's thirty- something birthday. (I used to think people in their thirties were old... man Kelli you're old!) Yes, we are twins. Although through out our childhood nobody would believe us. Everybody thought Kelli was at least a year older, which would absolutely annoy me. I am 8, count them 8 minutes older!
Me & Kelli , a few days old
We were tiny. I was 4 lbs 4 oz, and Kelli was 5 lbs, she always has to out do me. She even got to go home weeks before I did :) (figures)

Grandma Beena with Kelli & Grandma Lucille with Me

My parents and grandparents had waited more than eleven years for us. So, spoiled would be an understatement.
Kelli & Me, early 1975
There are only three things that are identical about us. Our eye colour, our noses and our height. Although I am sure Kelli has started shrinking by now (wink, wink)

Kelli & Mom; Me & Grandad Glen, around our 1st Birthday

It was never hard to tell us apart, although my parents insisted on dressing us alike, until we revolted in Kindergarten. Then my mom tried, the same outfit in different colours. But by first grade even that was out.




Kelli, Mom, & I
Yes we are California Girls....This is the house we grew up in (until 14, when we moved to Canada) My dad still lives here today.


Mom, Kelli & Robin
Our double stroller...got to love the 1970's. The VW Bug in the garage my dad bought off the lot in 1962. He drove it for 28 years.

Me, Kelli, Mom; Mount Saint Helen's 1983
Me & Kelli with our Polaroid cameras....we always got the exact same birthday & Christmas gifts. Until the year we graduated high school. Kelli got a Bosch, five in one mixer, blender, food processor thing and I got that Braun food-masher-electric-wand-thing. (good thing I'm not a score keeper, right Kelli ?)

Kelli, Mom & I, Indian Maidens 1985
My mom involved us in every activity under the sun. You name it we were in it, but we had to be in it together. Girls Scouts, Indian Maidens, Piano, Violin, Voice, Dance, Music Machine(performing arts troupe). Although, my mom didn't think competitive sports were good for our self- esteem. It kept us out of trouble and for the hundreds of $$$ my mom spent on piano lessons,I think Kelli & I can still play "My Little Birch Canoe".
Kelli & I 1992
Getting along in Junior High & High School was near impossible. We fought like cats and dogs and even have the scars to prove it. Some how we managed to survive. When I got married and Kelli left for BYU things changed...
Mom, Me, Kelli & Holly, SLC, General Conference April 1994
We became the closest of friends. Neither one of us could have foreseen the challenges we would face with both of our parents as they aged. The trails and heartache have pulled Kelli and I even closer together. As a kid, I always wondered why I had to be a twin. Now I consider it one of my biggest blessings. We are twins because somebody knew how much we would need each other.
Love you Kelli, Happy Birthday!









1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! You have always had a way with words (just another thing I am jealous of)-hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete