Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thank You, Mom

Me, Mom & Kelli 1978




This was one of my Mom's favourite hymns.


Where can I turn for peace?Where is my solace When other sources cease to make me whole?When, with a wounded heart, anger, or malice I draw myself apart searching my soul?
Where, when my aching grows?Where, when I languish?Where, in my need to know?Where can I run?Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?Who, who can understand?He, only One.
He answers privately.Reaches my reaching.In my Gethsemane, Savior, and friend.Gentle, the peace He finds For my beseeching.Constant He is, and kind.Love without end.


As I sit here tonight listening to Holly practise the piano (Holly knows that all she has to do to get out of anything especially chores is sit down and play), I can't help but be reminded of the hours I listened to my Mom play on the same piano while I was growing up. Mom always woke us up on Sunday Mornings by playing her favourite hymns. She taught us to love music and especially the peace that that music can bring. Even as her failing health took away her ability to play, the messages in the hymns she loved so much gave her and my sister and I the strength and understanding we needed to endure the heartache.


Tomorrow would have been her 69th birthday. In the more than six years since her passing there has been much healing. Her musical talents have lived on in her Grandchildren. I love you, Mom and the musical legacy you left us.

1 comment: