Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Our Starter Child + Grad Dresses

So this whole "being the parent of a daughter graduating" is new to me. Grad is not until June 27th and so the thought of a grad dress for our starter child hadn't even crossed my frontal lobe. It probably wouldn't have even entered my psyche 'til like April... But no, our nearly adult child came home on Monday (her 9th day of classes) and asked the Superman "Can we please go look at grad dresses, daddy please?!"

Notice that she asked her Dad before even mentioning it to me?? When it comes to the shopping-fashion-ballgown-patience department, my skills are remedial at best. My Superman is the best dad any daughter could ask for. When they were toddlers he could do a better ponytail than I could. When they were little girls he would play barbie or dress up. When they were tweens he took them to Disney Princesses on Ice and now he wouldn't miss taking his first born grad dress shopping....

As a courtesy I was invited to tag along....

The dress show was at the swanky golf resort at the top of our hill. As we entered the club house I was surprised that they allowed us country bumpkins in the door. We  awkwardly climbed the stairs. The room was full of girls, moms and sequins. A women looked at our Superman and said "Well aren't you a brave soul!!" He just smiled. Holly wasted no time trying on all the different styles. Clearly she did not inherit my aversion to dressing up.

It was a surreal moment as parents. All the special dresses in her life flooded my mind....Her blessing gown, the first dress my mom sewed for her, the dress Grandpa Bruce bought for her first birthday, the matching pioneer dresses  Grandma Lynette sowed for her and her sisters, her baptism dress....

For the first time I realized that this was going to be one of those special dresses. Each dress Holly tried on was beautiful, an outward expression of her inner beauty. I caught the Superman tearing up (I know, shocking!!) thankfully he managed to maintain composure. I could never even imagine this day would ever come and in the blink of an eye here we are. Being the mom of not only one daughter but four, is such a blessing. And thankfully they put up with my fashion awkwardness with very few eye rolls :) and at least they have the Superman to make up the difference. I guess I better get used to this I have been informed that hand me down grad dresses are unacceptable. And the price of dresses makes me slightly regret never learning to sew....shhh don't report me to the RS president ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Exciting times ahead! Holly is so beautiful, I can't imagine how proud you are/will be in June. I will be bawling when it is my turn!! :)

    ReplyDelete