Saturday, October 1, 2011

BINGO! It's Confernce Weekend

This is General Conference Weekend...As a kid I didn't like this weekend much. It meant going to the huge Stake Center, sitting on cold metal chairs and constantly trying to avoid the "behave or die" glare my mother was a master at.....

Thanks to the advent of modern technology, we are able to watch General Conference in the comforts of our home. Today we decided to take a laid back approach and bribe encourage our rug rats to watch with us.

The Superman and I were up early so he could check on the broadcast equipment at the Church, as we were driving home I said donuts, Grant donuts....that'll get them up!

We stopped and picked up a dozen of still hot honey glazed and I grabbed skittles and nibbs for Conference Bingo.  The fact that the candy was fruit flavoured made at least me feel better...If I had known how quickly donut deprived kids will bound out of bed, I would have tried this a LONG time ago!!!

Conference Bingo, the game is simple but the Kramer kids can make anything compicated.....

We had to tell them that playing the game during the opening and closing prayer was prohibited.

We had to stipulate that the words had to come from the speakers in conference and not from "Alex say atonement, Alex's says atonement, Dallyn yells bingo"

The could eat the candy whenever, but once it was gone it was gone....Then the could use the write-on markers.

We had to prohibit using the markers to colour Tater.

Tater is not a big fan of hymn singing....a howling dog is really disruptive, funny, but disruptive.

Buying nibbs and skittles is a bad idea when your dog has a fruit flavoured candy fetish. Tater kept sneaking around and stealing the nibbs off the kids bingo sheets. Which was amusing until Maddie "Yells, Tater ate my Jesus!" right in the middle of President Monson announcing new Temples.

Okay so the bingo game was less effective than I had hoped but we did make it through the entire two hours all in the same room and nobody stormed off crying which is an improvement over last year....

What I did LOVE was  the announcement of new temples, Elder Packer's talk specifically directed to our youth, the arrangement of I Am A Child of God the choir sang and President Uchtdorf closing words. I am not sure that my kids as of yet appreciate Conference weekend , I never did at their age. But I sure do now, so many answers come from listening to the words spoken at conference. I always come away with a renewed since of hope and confidence. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment