Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Look For It.

I usually blog about all the funny, crazy, hilarious things that happen around here, trust me the material is never in short supply. Dallyn even made some funny comment last night about how "Halloween is a free first class ticket to Candy land" and  then turned to me and said "Now that's funny right there you should put that on the blog"

Our family has had alot on its shoulders recently and over the last several weeks I have found it increasingly harder to stay positive and not become angry and bitter for circumstances we didn't chose. Its been easy to find all the depressing negative things that happen in a day or over the week and some how feel short changed, or forgotten about. Who am I kidding, I have felt down right sorry for myself....Then Monday after a great visit with a dear friend. A talk I had heard a few years ago at General Conference came to mind....
President Eyring shared with us that he had been keeping a daily journal for his children for many years......


" Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.







More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened.....

....My point is to urge you to find ways to recognize and remember God’s kindness. It will build our testimonies......

President Henry B Eyring. O Remember, Remember. October 2007
 
 
Have I seen the hand of God in our lives over the weeks? Yes. Absolutely.
 
 
*A friend who came completely out of her way to share a birthday dinner with us.
 
*A seminary teacher who called and said we'll pick your kids up.
 
*The friend, who drove up just to have lunch and listened without judgement.
 
*A beautiful sunset after a rather rough day.
 
*A calm heart amongst all the commotion, and the constant thought "hang on, keep moving, it will all work out."

If I really look our blessings have been endless. I am not alone. My attitude is what I choose to focus on....so when I share the blessings I have seen on a day. You'll know its where I really need to keep my focus.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites was "Come What May and Love It" from Elder Wirthlin. Sometimes I think a sense of humor, even an irreverent one, is our best defense and coping mechanism.

    ReplyDelete