Friday, May 25, 2012

"Mormons"

" I had to abruptly leave Socials in the middle of class today....." Bailey said when she came in the door from school yesterday.

Now my kids would never, ever skip a class (yeah, right !?!) And they usually don't come in the door and announce it. Its one rug rat ratting the other one out...Anyways...

Of course I ask..."Why?"

So Bailey relates the following (in tears)....

The class was discussing world populations and the teacher had posed the question "What would drive a person to move from or leave a city?" The students were asked to write their responses on the board.

A boy in Bailey's group went up to the board and wrote "Mormons" ....(his reason someone would leave a place)

Bailey immediately stood up and left the class....

Did he know you were Mormon??  "Yes"

Was he trying to be funny?  "Maybe, but it wasn't"

Now I wasn't there and I have no idea how things were handled after Bailey left the classroom....

But I do know that Bailey was deeply hurt and embarrassed by the incident....

This is a first. Living out here they are 3 of 4  LDS students in their High School. But we have always experienced mutual respect and genuine curiosity...with the occasional funny question thrown in.

 I got called in by a teacher once, because she found out Alex was Mormon....It was a funny conversation as I explained that yes Alex could colour a pumpkin at Halloween, and that she  had our religion confused with another..The teacher then asked if there was anything she should be sensitive to while teaching Alex.. I deeply respected this teachers desire to not offend and understand Alex's faith.

Grant and I had a doctor last year , ask....{after finding out that we didn't drink, didn't smoke and had five kids} "What are you...Mormon?" Yup! "But only the one wife kind right?"  It was hilarious and we all laughed...

So yesterday really surprised and saddened me some....

I did email the principal (the class was being covered by a sub) and received an immediate apology and a promise that he would speak to the teacher, other student and Bailey. I have no doubt that things will be made well. ps.{Bailey's principal and teacher spoke to the entire class about discrimination in regards to race, religion and  democractic rights,  first thing this morning...and the student personally apologized to Bailey. Handled perfectly. Thank you.}

This has been a great opportunity to talk with all my kids about respect and understanding.

A genuine reminder that we can always be a little kinder.



0 comments:

Post a Comment