Thursday, July 12, 2012

Making Monsters and Miracles

I haven't shared much on this blog about our courageous friend James and his amazing family....James' journey back from a traumatic brain injury that nearly took his life, six months ago has been a deeply personal one for him and his family and a journey that is still very much in its beginning, it is only with their permission that I share my small experience in their journey.....

James`Monster

The call came from the Superman that James had been in an accident, not long after our day started. I needed to go pick up his brother and sister and wait for word....My heart sank and I immediately began praying for our friends. Telling two teenagers that there had been a serious accident and their brother was being life-flighted to Victoria, broke my heart....

Word came in bits and pieces over the next 36 hours....James made it through surgery....was in ICU...only time will tell...I couldn't even imagine what his sweet parents were going through

It was an honour to help with the immediate needs at home, looking after a few extra teenagers, pet care, phone calls, anything we could do...It was humbling watching so many to reach out and help...things always fell together, tender mercies...

A few days later walking into James' ICU room took my breathe away. How can any mother go through this...I couldn't imagine and marveled at my friend's quiet strength. There was a sense of peace and comfort in that room and I almost immediately felt the spirit...I knew were her quiet strength came from....

Over the next days and weeks and months James' recovery could only be measured in the tiniest of triumphs....His parents faith and hope was astounding and humbling to me.

The Superman and I saw James a handful of times in Victoria and stopped at the hospital to see him before we flew out to Utah in April...His hair had returned and no more treach, but he still had limited awareness. Word had come though that they were ready to transfer him back to Comox, that night, after ten weeks in Victoria...At least everyone was closer to home now....

Weeks past, my Dad passed away and I was overwhelmed with my own heartaches...I stayed in contact with my dear friend, but hadn`t found the courage to go to the hospital...My friend was so sweet in her understanding...so just over four weeks ago, while Holly and I were driving passed the Hospital...I said drop me off and come back in an hour....

James was in the same kind of unit my Dad (and Mom) had been in and I prayed for courage as I walked through the coded door....

I entered James` room and had no idea what to expect....

James sitting in his wheel chair, looked at me, gave me his awesome crocked smile and I watched as his fingers formed an ``H`` and then an ``I``....My heart melted and I knew I had had a front row seat to a miracle...James smiled and laughed as we visited for the next several minutes...It was James.

Recovery is still a very long road for him and his family and they will all need our love prayers and support for a while longer...He is now in rehab and the transition there has been challenging as he is working hard on the basics. As I listened to his ever patient mom describe his latest antics (he`d been quite the little monster) ....I had to smile as I thought even little monsters are great big miracles.

So I decided to make him his very own little monster :) And will always consider it a great blessing to have such amazing friends.




0 comments:

Post a Comment