Sunday, July 29, 2012

Olympics Back In The Day

We still lived in Southern California when the 1984 Olympics came to Los Angeles....
The Olympics were a big deal for our family...My Grandad competed in the 1932 Canadian Olympic trials for Track and Field and would have competed in the 1932 Olympics held in Los Angeles if not for the depression. They only sent one team member to the Olympics and Grandad missed the oppurtunity...Something he deeply regreted...

So when the Olympics returned to LA in 1984...Grandad came down and Mom and Grandad went to every Track and field event they could get tickets for.


Kelli and I got to go to a couple of swimming events and the closing ceremonies...


Even as a nine year old, I knew we were experiencing history. I remember standing in long lines, the Olympic pins, the closing ceremonies with a million balloons and flash lights that we had to change the colour from red to white to blue on singnal, creating amazing light pictures around the stadium



It was awesome....Expreinces of a life time especially for my Grandad. Maybe that's why I'm such an Olympic nerd now. Doesn't everybody watch it non stop :)

1 comment:

  1. I was at opening day of track and field for the '84 Olympics. I have a box of memorabilia floating around here somewhere. It was definitely a memory-making experience for me!

    ReplyDelete